Subject: bug#30737: [patch] global-abbrev-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 20:03:46 +0200

> From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:18:29 -0600
> 
> > Does it make sense to have it turned on in every single buffer?  What
> > major modes do you routinely use?
> 
> I use a mix of text modes (auctex, org, etc) and programming modes
> (python, ess, etc). I find it useful to have the global abbrev table
> collect common spelling mistakes or typos like teh and automatically
> correct them to "the".

But what if you have a variable in a program called "teh"?  Or, as a
more practical use case, consider this: in a few places in Emacs we
have a variable named "defalt", because using "default" gets in the
way for some reason.  Having this turned on globally will silently
"correct" these variable names, and could cause you real trouble.

This is what I fear.