Subject: Re: bug#30737: [patch] global-abbrev-mode

From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:18:29 -0600

On Wed 07 Mar 2018 at 11:09, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 17:27:05 -0600
>>
>> It's currently not very clear how we're supposed to turn on abbrev-mode
>> everywhere. This patch introduces global-abbrev-mode to solve that
>> particular problem. I've been using this line in my init.el for a few
>> months without issue.
>
> Does it make sense to have it turned on in every single buffer?  What
> major modes do you routinely use?

I use a mix of text modes (auctex, org, etc) and programming modes
(python, ess, etc). I find it useful to have the global abbrev table
collect common spelling mistakes or typos like teh and automatically
correct them to "the".

This was inspired by a blog post[1]. The author there recommends turning
on abbrev-mode everywhere with setq-default, but the doc string
explicitly says not to do that: "Use the command ‘abbrev-mode’ to change
this variable."

Footnotes:
[1]  http://endlessparentheses.com/ispell-and-abbrev-the-perfect-auto-correct.html