Subject: Re: [bug#30734] [PATCH core-updates 3/3] gnu: net-tools: Don't install 'ifconfig'.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:22:36 +0100

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Sure, either that or rename it to “ifconfig.net-tools” (I think Debian
>> sometimes does things like this.)
>>
>> But, isc-dhcp depends on net-tools, and it might have scripts that
>> depend on its ifconfig, for instance.  Same for virtuoso-ose, isc-bind,
>> iodine, and more.
>>
>> So all in all, your suggestion may be safer, though we should check
>> whether these things break.
>
> I like renaming it better than moving to 'sbin'.  I'll try out some of
> the dependent packages and see what needs to be done.  Would it be okay
> to switch to GNU Inetutils for those that require 'ifconfig'?

Sure.  I think we’ll have to actually run the those tools (isc-dhcp,
etc.) to check whether their scripts work well with GNU ifconfig, though.

Ludo’.