Subject: bug#30728: guix-install.sh doesn't work if run with "sudo"

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 09:46:54 +0200

Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The manual says (see: (guix) Binary Installation):
>>
>>   3. Make ‘root’’s profile available under ‘~/.guix-profile’:
>>
>>           # ln -sf /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile \
>>                    ~root/.guix-profile
>
> I think the manual is wrong here.  This only makes sense if the user is
> 'root'.  Otherwise, the user would expect Guix to be installed in their
> home, not in root's home.

Step 2 says “As root, run: […]”.  “~root” resolves to “/root”, not to
“$HOME/root”, so it even works when run as a regular user.

The manual seems correct to me and this is what the script aims to
implement.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net