Subject: bug#30706: Nginx service fails

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 17:24:42 +0100

Hi Ludo,

> If you run this on an “old” GuixSD, ‘find-long-options’ is undefined.

How can it be that (gnu services base) with find-long-options call is present
but the (gnu build linux-boot)'s find-long options isn't present?

Aren't they either both added by "guix system reconfigure" (or both removed)?

Also when selecting an old generation in the Grub boot menu, isn't both
(gnu build linux-boot) and (gnu services base) at the same generation when
starting up the service (as opposed to stopping the old service)?

>   1. ‘guix system reconfigure’ should probably register services one by
>      one so that if one of the service expressions is erroneous, we
>      don’t bork everything.  See ‘upgrade-shepherd-services’.

Yes please.

>   2. IWBN to delay execution of this whole default-tty thing to the
>      #:start method.  Ideas, Danny?

The idea was that if you specify a serial console at boot that you can
actually log in at that console.

So it's trying to find out whether, at the time of service start,
there is a serial console specified (in the Linux command line), and if
so, start an agetty.  Otherwise do not start that agetty.

We could also do that without a guix service - but I thought it would be
nice to have a guix service for it as well.