Subject: Re: bug#30701: [PATCH 1/3] services: Rework the PostgreSQL config file to use a record type.

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 18:37:40 +0100

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry, I made some changes, and merged these patches on the weekend, but
> I forgot to reply.

[...]

>>> +        `(("log_destination" ,@(with-single-quotes log-destination))
>>> +          ("hba_file" ,@(with-single-quotes hba-file))
>>> +          ("ident_file" ,@(with-single-quotes ident-file))
>>                                     ^
>> Could you please use a shorter name?  Like "enclose", so that we won't
>> go over 80 columns too easily :-).
>
> I went with quote' as I think that works well.

I don't like it because:

  • The extra \' doesn't help describing what the function does.  One
    could believe it's a variant of 'quote', but it's actually very
    different.

  • It doesn't follow our coding style.  See
    https://mumble.net/~campbell/scheme/style.txt.  "Symbolic names are
    written with English words separated by hyphens."  See also the part
    about "Funny Characters".

> Thanks for taking a look and for your comments :)

You're welcome :-)

Clément