Subject: Re: bug#30700: 27.0.50; Broken tests on macOS

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 22:40:17 +0000

Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 08:05:02PM +0100, Philipp wrote:
>> 
>> The following tests fail for me on macOS with a recent master build:
>> 
>> network-stream-tests:
>> 
>> Test echo-server-with-dns backtrace:
>>   make-network-process(:name "server" :server t :noquery t :family ipv
>>   make-server("p")
>>   (let* ((server (make-server (system-name))) (port (aref (process-con
>>   (closure (t) nil (let* ((server (make-server (system-name))) (port (
>>   ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
>>   ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name echo-server-with-dns :documentation n
>>   ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector (not (or (tag :expensi
>>   ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable))) #f(co
>>   ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable)))
>>   ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
>>   eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
>>   command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/net/network-stream-t
>>   command-line()
>>   normal-top-level()
>> Test echo-server-with-dns condition:
>>     (error "p/0 nodename nor servname provided, or not known")
>> 
>> The macOS firewall prevents creating the server here.  Probably we
>> should just skip this test on macOS.
>
> Are you sure that’s what’s going on? The other server tests appear to
> work. I would expect this one to fail on my set up because the DNS
> entry for my computer only has an IPv6 address, but this test seems to
> rely on IPv4.

Looking further into this, if I change ":family" in make-server, either
by removing it, or changing it to 'ipv6, I get the following:

  (file-error "make client process failed" "Connection refused" :name
  "foo" :buffer #<buffer *foo*<19>> :host "breton.holly.idiocy.org"
  :service ...)

which implies the server is being created, but then the client can't
connect. Looking at netstat I can't see the port.

Turning off the macOS firewall makes no difference to any tests.
-- 
Alan Third