Subject: bug#30675: Ask the user what to do when shr-make-table: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:32:52 +0200

Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:

> The default stack size soft ulimit on GNU/Linux seems to be 8MB, Emacs
> tries to increase the limit by some fixed amount.  It can be set to
> unlimited (I wouldn't expect most users to do that though).  On macOS,
> there seems to be a hard limit of 64MB, so setting to unlimited doesn't
> work.

I see.

> Recent changes to Emacs have caused `read' to use more stack space, so
> it's definitely possible to hit the limits when reading a deeply nested
> structure (see bugs #27571 and #27779).  Not sure how likely it is when
> reading deeply nested HTML, but I'm sure if you increase
> max-specpdl-size enough with the right HTML page you can manage it :)

Yeah, and that makes me want to query the user even less.  Emacs: "Do
this thing you have no idea what is?" User: "Yes."  Emacs: *CRASH*.

So perhaps we should just leave things be and not increase the variable
and not prompt the user...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no