Subject: Re: bug#30675: Ask the user what to do when shr-make-table: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 12:29:17 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 02:27:19 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >>>>>> "LI" == Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> > LI> Or perhaps shr should just bind that variable to, like, 10x what it
> > LI> normally is?
> >
> > You're the boss.
> 
> No, I'm not.  Eli is.  :-)

I am?  Well, if I need to give my opinion on this, then blindly
increasing the limit ten-fold is something that'd make me worry about
a potential C stack overflow.  I'd feel much better with a lower
factor, e.g. some value that is just enough to cover this case plus
some slack.  Bonus points for providing a defcustom with the factor,
so that users could change that.

The idea of asking the user whether to increase by N levels sounds OK
to me, provided that its implementation is not out-worldly hard.

Thanks.