Subject: bug#30649: closed (Re: bug#30649: Cuirass service does not rotate its logs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 13:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30649: shepherd services with #:log-file overwrite their log file

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30649: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30649
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30649: Cuirass service does not rotate its logs
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 00:47:55 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 05:35:54PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> The cuirass service in GuixSD explicitly extends rottlog so that this
>> file is rotated on a weekly basis.  Perhaps you just need to wait a
>> little longer?
>
> The problem is not that the file grows too large.
>
> The problem was that after rebooting the server, the file was *replaced*
> with newly written content. Maybe the problem is not rotation, but opening
> a file in "write" instead of "append" mode...

Oh indeed, that’s a different thing.

This is fixed by Shepherd commit
7b4c88bac70f0bad82ef70fd5b682a49bc227478, thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: Cuirass service does not rotate its logs
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:50:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

while testing the cuirass service on bayfront, I see the following:

$ ll /var/log/c*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2003521 Feb 28 15:38 /var/log/cuirass.log

I am sure this 2MB file was about 14MB big this morning, and indeed
any information dating from before this morning, when I rebooted the
machine and thus restarted the service, has gone.

Notice also that there are no numbered files cuirass.log.1 etc..

Andreas