Subject: [bug#30647] [PATCH] guix build: Support '--remote-log-file=PACKAGE'.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 16:16:36 +0100

Hullo,

On 2018-02-28 23:13, [email-masked] wrote:
> What did you think of having ‘--log-file’ transparently fall back to
> searching for log files on substitute servers?
> 
> I find it handy, but also wondered if it might surprise users that such
> a trivially-looking option connects to external servers.

It would pleasantly surprise me :-)

(...well, not really ‘surprise’ — just more Guixy network-transparent 
goodness.)

TBH, I don't see the difference between this & all other actions that 
already connect to external servers.

Is this different? Will it ignore ’--no-substitutes’, or ping servers 
outside of user-approved substitute-urls? Does it need to?

> I thought about having it print something when it does so.

Like a progress bar? Seems more eye-catching than yet another warning. 
Or something more permanent in/next to the downloaded log?

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.