Subject: bug#30644: closed (Re: bug#30644: Cuirass runs out of build users)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 13:18:01 +0000

Your bug report

#30644: Cuirass runs out of build users

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30644: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30644
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30644: Cuirass runs out of build users
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 14:17:32 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

This should no longer be an issue with the new remote building mechanism
in Cuirass.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: Cuirass runs out of build users
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 10:07:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

in trying out the new bayfront machine, I raised the number of concurrent
build jobs to 10; the number of build accounts is programmatically set to
twice this number.

Looking at the build directories in /tmp, 9 build jobs were started on
February 26 at around 21:50, a 10th one at 22:24.

Later, I have been getting messages such as these:
2018-02-27T18:31:13 building 14491 derivations in batches of 200
2018-02-27T18:31:13 building batch of 200 jobs (0/14491)
2018-02-27T18:31:13 build failed: '/gnu/store/3qy3s1dy3nnb108ifz9yiscs687g0xkh-gfortran-5.5.0.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:13 build failed: '/gnu/store/1zdxbjmcw1qnmzh2qcbafsrbr8i2j1x3-glib-2.54.2.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:14 build failed: '/gnu/store/w56wpx4jar88hfabipvf6gd6hz81p6wk-python2-gevent-1.2.2.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:14 build failed: '/gnu/store/i2zmgbsi599pxskqh15s38fpms359jp7-gcc-cross-sans-libc-arm-linux-gnueabihf-5.5.0.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:14 build failed: '/gnu/store/qd59gqza3ly4rk2xjf40q2539rjgzh5r-gcc-cross-sans-libc-powerpc-linux-gnu-5.5.0.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:14 build failed: '/gnu/store/3qy3s1dy3nnb108ifz9yiscs687g0xkh-gfortran-5.5.0.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:14 build failed: '/gnu/store/1zdxbjmcw1qnmzh2qcbafsrbr8i2j1x3-glib-2.54.2.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:15 build started: '/gnu/store/08pjxws1pd04syqf28d3hhsfrb946bpc-dzen-0.9.5-1.488ab66.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:15 build failed: '/gnu/store/3qy3s1dy3nnb108ifz9yiscs687g0xkh-gfortran-5.5.0.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:15 build failed: '/gnu/store/1zdxbjmcw1qnmzh2qcbafsrbr8i2j1x3-glib-2.54.2.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:15 build started: '/gnu/store/01r4xm1nqixcxjbbn6xakpg3m5wkr12v-po4a-0.47.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:15 build failed: '/gnu/store/d545d4jzw0mfa61d9ml3vygchr93xp51-python-gevent-1.2.2.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:15 build started: '/gnu/store/02chd3k5qc8p8fc46j4w955cfld77cw1-spinsim-0.75-1.66915a7ad.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:15 build started: '/gnu/store/81b2340psschvvk7ybhnz6nx9jkpdlwa-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.04.tar.gz.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:15 build started: '/gnu/store/rkkacywdj7yya3wf51i141x5khzld4zl-clx-0.0.0-1.tar.xz.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:16 build started: '/gnu/store/286gkv0z6g9fb4frcx6yp2fg9v6iwk3b-ecl-alexandria-0.0.0-1.926a066.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:16 build started: '/gnu/store/hmy3ds71gbv1mspc9p5yvvhz5pibs8wl-elixir-1.5.3.tar.xz.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:16 build failed: '/gnu/store/1zdxbjmcw1qnmzh2qcbafsrbr8i2j1x3-glib-2.54.2.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:16 build started: '/gnu/store/y0p2myl0al8x3rlbxphgyjk83zl3kmb5-idris-mode-0.9.19.tar.drv'
2018-02-27T18:31:16 batch of builds (partially) failed:all build users are currently in use; consider creating additional users and adding them to the `guixbuild' group (status: 1)

So it looks as if build jobs get stalled, but somehow do not free their
build users.

Hm, the directories in /tmp are created by guixbuilder01 to guixbuilder10.
10 is the default value, but it should have been overwritten.

And in /etc/passwd, I see 20 users. But apparently, they are not used!

Andreas