Subject: bug#30634: closed (Re: bug#30634: 26.0; doc string of `dired-do-create-files')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 15:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30634: 26.0; doc string of `dired-do-create-files'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30634: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30634
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30634: 26.0; doc string of `dired-do-create-files'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 17:32:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:12:18 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> The doc string says this, where "into-dir" is the only occurrence of
> that text in the doc string:
> 
>    The rest of into-dir are optional arguments.
> 
> This is incomprehensible.  Yes, in the _code_ of the function there is
> an internal, local variable named `into-dir', but it makes no sense to
> refer to that in the doc string.

Thanks, fixed.

> (The entire description of arg HOW-TO is too complicated, particularly
> the "Otherwise" part.  Apparently in this case HOW-TO is a function.  If
> that function returns a non-nil list then its car is a function of 4
> args...  An example or two might help.)

I didn't see it as overly complicated, I think it's very clear.

Subject: 26.0; doc string of `dired-do-create-files'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:12:18 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc string says this, where "into-dir" is the only occurrence of
that text in the doc string:

   The rest of into-dir are optional arguments.

This is incomprehensible.  Yes, in the _code_ of the function there is
an internal, local variable named `into-dir', but it makes no sense to
refer to that in the doc string.

---

(The entire description of arg HOW-TO is too complicated, particularly
the "Otherwise" part.  Apparently in this case HOW-TO is a function.  If
that function returns a non-nil list then its car is a function of 4
args...  An example or two might help.)

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-01-22
Repository revision: 752fba992b793a74d202c9cfc3e1a92fd458e748
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''