Subject: bug#30630: closed (Re: bug#30630: 24.5; Emacsclient, Tramp and quote character in file name)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30630: 24.5; Emacsclient, Tramp and quote character in file name

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30630: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30630
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30630: 24.5; Emacsclient, Tramp and quote character in file name
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: Sascha Ziemann <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 13:24:59 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> Sascha Ziemann wrote:
>
>> In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
>>  of 2017-09-12 on hullmann, modified by Debian
>
>> System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch)
>
> Please try with Emacs 25 (apt-get install emacs25),
> where this seems to work for me.

Indeed. I could reproduce the problem with Emacs 24; Emacs 25 does not
show this problem.

Closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.5; Emacsclient, Tramp and quote character in file name
From: Sascha Ziemann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:26:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The following command

    echo quote > /tmp/\"
    emacsclient /sudo::/tmp/\"

produces the following error message:

    *ERROR*: Args out of range: [], 1

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-09-12 on hullmann, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-gnutls --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-gnutls --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs24-24.5+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -fno-PIE' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -no-pie''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
(New file)

Tramp: Checking `vc-registered' for /sudo:root@debian:/tmp/\"...done
(New file)
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
exchange-point-and-mark: No mark set in this buffer
kill-region: The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...
call-interactively: End of buffer [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils apropos pp tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring format-spec advice conf-mode server help-mode help-fns cus-edit
easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib sh-script smie
executable time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 137363 26075)
 (symbols 48 22826 0)
 (miscs 40 151 525)
 (strings 32 28912 10117)
 (string-bytes 1 792526)
 (vectors 16 23344)
 (vector-slots 8 1344970 100897)
 (floats 8 714 790)
 (intervals 56 1044 772)
 (buffers 960 24))