Subject: [bug#30629] [PATCH 0/5] Detect missing modules in the initrd

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 12:46:55 +0100

> Also, when I replace kmod-minimal/static by kmod I get a massive number of
> test failures.  What I'm trying to say, in this case I think
> having an intermediate step kmod-minimal/static is the least of the evils...

To clarify, the other "evils" would be to

* Have a non-working intermediate state pushed to master, or
* Have to push all 14 patches (yours and mine) at the same time - with
overlooked bugs in it hitting us all at once.

I prefer not to do these.

I think it's better to have kmod-minimal-static and my patchset in master
for a week in order to be reasonably sure that the linux-boot.scm
changes do what they are supposed to do (which is essentially the same
as before the patch - just loading no unnecessary modules :P).

Also, loading dm-crypt and raid works just fine with it since the kernel
does it anyway (by calling us back).

My commit message indicated that I used the regular kmod - but I was mistaken
(in the commit message, not the actual source code).
I tried, but it doesn't work (or kmod-minimal-static even build) with the newer
kmod (static), so I changed it back to the older one again.

Also, kmod-minimal (not static) of the newer version doesn't work either (depmod
fails with error code 127 with no message printed anywhere).

The old kmod version is special because it's the last one to officially
support static linking.  Let's just use old kmod-minimal-static as-is until we
figure out what's up with newer ones (I don't have any ideas left about that -
I don't even understand why it needs to be statically linked when, with the
integrated version, kmod doesn't end up in the initrd anyway.
I tried with the integrated version: Error 127).

Did I mention it's great to be able to rollback to the previous system
generation in the grub boot menu?  It's so great!