Subject: Re: bug#30626: 26.0.91; Crash when traversing a `stream-of-directory-files'

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 12:15:43 -0500

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Michael Heerdegen
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Agreed, but could you please open a new thread for it? AFAICT, this
>> bug thread is about streams.el functions producing structures
>> proportional in size to the length of the entire stream, which is a
>> bug in itself, regardless of whether or not the GC can handle the
>> result.
>
> No, it is a feature: we want streams to produce these structures,
> streams are delayed lists, not just iterators.  Lists are also
> potentially unlimited nested conses, and that's not a bug.  Streams are
> the same realized with delayed conses.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but is it not the case that iterating over
(stream-range 1 n) should require only a constant amount of memory,
regardless of the value of n?