Subject: bug#30600: closed (re: repl metacommands do not discard remaining input after syntax error in an expression)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 18:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30600: repl metacommands do not discard remaining input after syntax error in an expression

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30600: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30600
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: re: repl metacommands do not discard remaining input after syntax error in an expression
From: lloda <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 20:19:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Applied in 242e8698c2fdfada96a136abde5156bac3dbc6c9. 

Thanks

  lloda

Subject: repl metacommands do not discard remaining input after syntax error in an expression
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 00:31:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

When using meta-commands in the repl (without readline support), if 
reading an expression parameter fails, the rest of the input gets read 
in anyway. An example interaction:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
GNU Guile 2.2.3
Copyright (C) 1995-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> ,trace "\m"
Throw to key `read-error' while reading argument `form' of command 
`trace':
In procedure scm_lreadr: #<unknown port>:1:11: illegal character in 
escape sequence: #\m
"
$1 = "\n"
scheme@(guile-user)> ,trace "\m123
Throw to key `read-error' while reading argument `form' of command 
`trace':
In procedure scm_lreadr: #<unknown port>:2:11: illegal character in 
escape sequence: #\m
$2 = 123
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Since Geiser uses meta-commands with multi-line expressions to 
communicate with Guile it can get very confusing if you have syntax 
errors in your code.