Subject: Re: [bug#30572] [PATCH 4/7] docker: Allow the use of a custom temporary directory.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 16:24:30 +0100

Hello,

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Another option here would be to build the Docker image without using a
> VM in the first place.  Perhaps we can use namespaces, but I haven't
> tried that yet, since the VM approach worked.  I tried without a VM
> first, and I quickly found that I couldn't do many things in a normal
> derivation that I needed to do in order to build the image (e.g., create
> device files).  I don't know if I can do all those necessary things
> without using a VM.

We need a VM so that we can be root and create and mount file systems,
right?

That’s a good reason to use a VM.  :-)

What about making /tmp in the VM a 9p mount of /tmp outside the VM?
That way this would be transparent, and no need to fiddle with the VM
disk sizes.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.