Subject: Re: [bug#30572] [PATCH 1/7] tests: Add tests for "guix pack".

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:32:28 +0100

Hello Chris,

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * Makefile.am (SH_TESTS): Add guix-pack.sh.
> * tests/guix-pack.sh: New file.

That’s a great idea, and indeed something that should have been done
earlier on.

Some comments:

> +# Use --dry-run because it takes too long to actually build everything.
> +GUIX_BUILD_OPTIONS="--no-substitutes --dry-run"
> +export GUIX_BUILD_OPTIONS
> +
> +# Build a tarball.
> +guix pack coreutils

It would be ideal if we could actually build something, but built
something cheap.

The way we do that in those tests is by:

  1. Using the ‘guile-bootstrap’ package as an example, under the
     assumption that it’s already available, does not require
     networking, and is built in one or two seconds.

  2. Using ‘--bootstrap’ or a similar option so that the derivations use
     ‘guile-bootstrap’ instead of ‘guile-final’, for the same reason.

See for instance tests/guix-package.sh.

Would you be willing to try something along these lines?

Thanks,
Ludo’.