Subject: bug#30553: 26.0.91; underline appears beneath line-spacing rather than beneath text

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 13:05:22 -0800

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Bug#30609 does not describe a bug, IMO.

I hear you--I hesitated to report it as a bug. If you'd prefer I
submit things like that to emacs-devel in the future I can do that
instead.

>> 2. It would be great if we could figure out a way to address
>> bug#30609.
>
> I don't see how, and I told that much in that bug report.  But I'm far
> from being a GUI display expert, so maybe someone else will come up
> with a solution.

Understood, thanks. I'll think on it and look around. I have one idea
that I'll repsond with.

> IMO, it's better to make x-underline-at-descent-line a tristate
> variable than add another boolean.

I'd be happy to do that. I think that's a better solution. I assume
that any non-nil other than some string or symbol (what is more
common?) would behave as it does today and that that new value, maybe
`font'? would behave as the new variable I introduced in my patch
does. Does that sound right? Any advice on porting an existing boolean
to a non-nil from a documentation or previous example standpoint would
be helpful.

Thank you.