Subject: bug#30553: 26.0.91; underline appears beneath line-spacing rather than beneath text

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:21:44 -0800

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 11:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> "All" meaning the two involved in the underline position, right?  Yes,
> that would be a good addition, I think.

Ok, I'll submit a separate patch for that.

> So it's spacemacs' fault, perhaps exasperated by choosing some font
> and/or colors that make this issue more prominent.  Right?  Then how
> about asking the spacemacs developers to improve the situation on
> their end?

No, spacemacs is setting x-underline-at-descent-line t because of
bug#30609, I would guess. There's no other good way to deal with
colored underlines as far as I can tell. This isn't a spacemacs issue.
I didn't want to use x-underline-at-descent-line t because I wanted to
use line-spacing in org-mode. Hence my situation and these bugs.

>> With this variable, you are right, I no longer need to use
>> `setq-local`, I can just set this variable globally and it will look
>> reasonable for code and prose.
>
> Good, that's what I thought.

By "this variable" I meant the one I introduced in my patch. Are you
still interested in accepting that?

Just to recap:

1. I will submit a patch to make the two existing underline variables
work buffer local.

2. It would be great if we could figure out a way to address
bug#30609. I believe it would alleviate much of the legibility issues
around underlines when there are multiple colors, which could lead to
x-underline-at-descent-line t not being necessary in spacemacs (and
maybe other peoples configs who have set it for this reason). Do you
think there is a path to this? (feel free to reply to this on
bug#30609)

3. I have the previously attached patch which adds a new variable that
draws the underline below the descenders rather than at the bottom of
the overall descent. I believe that this is an improvement to
x-underline-at-descent-line t and that if it existed I would encourage
spacemacs to move to this (if bug#30609 was not addressed). I still
need to make this patch work with buffer local as in [1.], but I want
to be sure that you'd still be ok with this variable. Are you OK with
this?

>> That said, I'm not sure exactly what you meant by: "if you set these
>> variables to ignore the line-spacing", are you referring to the new
>> variable I introduced or are you OK with me making a change to
>> x-underline-at-descent-line to ignore line spacing?
>
> I meant to suggest what you did: customize x-underline-at-descent-line
> such that it avoids the effect of line-spacing you didn't like.  I
> assumed that such a setting will solve your problems everywhere.

Got it. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Thanks!