Subject: bug#30552: closed (Re: bug#30552: 27.0.50; Incorrect link to Early Init File node and Early Init File clarification)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 16:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30552: 27.0.50; Incorrect link to Early Init File node and Early Init File clarification

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30552: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30552
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30552: 27.0.50; Incorrect link to Early Init File node and Early Init File clarification
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Radon Rosborough <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 18:15:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Radon Rosborough <[email-masked]> writes:

> It seems not unreasonable to me.

Thanks.  I'm going to assume that the current text is satisfactory and
close this bug.  If anyone feels that there is more to do here, please
reopen this bug and explain what is still missing.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 27.0.50; Incorrect link to Early Init File node and Early Init File clarification
From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 17:47:32 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]

Hello,

I was following the changes for the early init file in the emacs manual,
and I across:

> After a package is installed, it is automatically made available by
Emacs in all subsequent sessions.  This happens at startup, before
processing the init file but after processing the early init file (*note
(elisp)Early Init File::).  As an exception, Emacs does not make
packages available at startup if invoked with the ‘-q’ or
‘--no-init-file’ options (*note Initial Options::).

   To keep Emacs from automatically making packages available at
startup, change the variable ‘package-enable-at-startup’ to ‘nil’.  You
must do this in the early init file (*note (elisp)Early Init File::), as

in (emacs) Package Installation

It looks like the (elisp)Early Init File node does not exist.. navigating
there gives:

user-error: No such node or anchor: ‘Early Init File’

But there *is* a (emacs) Early Init File node.

So, may be just needs /(elisp)/(emacs)/ ?

Here's a related request:

In (emacs) Early Init File, it says:

> However, it is sometimes desirable to
have customizations that take effect during Emacs startup earlier than
the normal init file is processed.  Such customizations can be put in
the early init file, ‘~/.emacs.d/early-init.el’.

It's not clear what those customizations are.. can you put a definitive
list of customizations that if one does *have* to now be in early-init.el?

For example, now package-user-dir *has* to be in early-init.el, but that
variable is not mentioned in that node.

If a list of variables cannot be listed in there for the sake of
maintenance.. there should be some way for a user to figure out if a
variable *needs to be* in early-init.el or *can be* in init.el.

Example:

- package-user-dir has to be in early-init.el
- But having package-archives in init.el is fine.

Why so? The answer to that Why needs to go in the Early Init File node.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2018-02-19
Repository revision: 071a0a571243f9498e0e58e5fe938a7b892a22db
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60900000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.6
(Santiago)
-- 

Kaushal Modi