Subject: bug#30530: 26.0; Emacs manual: mention (1) user-reserved keys, (2) users can bind any keys

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 22:27:48 +0100

Hello,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I added some text about the latter, although I seriously doubt that it
> will be discoverable enough to make any difference.

Thank you. 

For good measure, could you also add a @cindex about it? E.g,

  @cindex user reserved key bindings

For reference, this bug report stems from the following part of the Org
manual:

    For a better experience, the three Org commands ~org-store-link~,
    ~org-capture~ and ~org-agenda~ ought to be accessible anywhere in
    Emacs, not just in Org buffers.  To that effect, you need to bind them
    to globally available keys, like the ones reserved for users (see
    [[info:elisp::Key%20Binding%20Conventions]]).  Here are suggested
    bindings, please modify the keys to your own liking.

    #+begin_src emacs-lisp
      (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
      (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
      (global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)
    #+end_src

Drew pointed out that suggesting to bind user reserved keys was almost
as if we were binding them. 

I can hear that argument, and would happily stop the paragraph at
"globally available keys". However, I have the feeling this deserves
a cross-reference, and an appendix in the Elisp manual doesn't sound
like an appropriate location.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738