Subject: bug#3053: "emacsclient -a emacs" produces "No server editing buffers exist" when closing buffer

From: Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:41:01 +0200

[Please put me in CC when you reply.]

Hi

As suggested per the online Emacs manual [1], I have set the $EDITOR
variable to emacsclient with the -a argument.

[2009-04-19 16:17:37] danai@danai:~/examples/examples-current
  $ echo $EDITOR
emacsclient --alternate-editor emacs +%d %s

When $EDITOR gets called from scripts, such as "reportbug" on Debian,
and Emacs is not started yet, a new instance of Emacs will be launched
(as can be expected).  However, I cannot close back the buffer with
C-x #.  Pressing this shortcut so will result in a message "No server
editing buffers exist".

I can still save the file with C-x C-s and then close the buffer with
C-x k, because "reportbug" uses a file in /tmp, but I would like to
see that the classic way of closing a buffer from an external call is
retained (i.e. C-x #).

When Emacs is already started, emacsclient opens correctly and I can
close the buffer with C-#.

[2009-04-19 16:17:39] danai@danai:~/examples/examples-current
  $ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 22.3.1
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

[2009-04-19 16:22:50] danai@danai:~/examples/examples-current
  $ cat /etc/debian_version
squeeze/sid

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Invoking-emacsclient.html

Best regards

-- 
Danai