Subject: Re: bug#30529: 26.0.91; minibuffer errors change standard-output

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:22:19 +0200

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think the intention is to get out of any situation that may result in
> repeated errors.

Right -- if this is while handling the error itself, then specbinding it
should do the trick...

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I see no problems with the patch.  As we add calls into Lisp in more
> and more places in the internals, we hit code that never imagined it
> could be interrupted, so it didn't bother with unwinding (which
> doesn't come for free).

So I've now pushed the change.  I've done some testing (to see whether I
can make it behave oddly if doing backtraces from an error and the
like), but everything seems to behave as before.

But we should be on the lookout for oddities in this area -- the
function may have been setting standard-output permanently for some
obscure reason...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no