Subject: bug#30528: closed (Re: bug#30528: 26.0; Emacs manual, index entry `key rebinding, permanent')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:54:03 +0000

Your bug report

#30528: 26.0; Emacs manual, index entry `key rebinding, permanent'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30528: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30528
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30528: 26.0; Emacs manual, index entry `key rebinding, permanent'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 17:53:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 07:23:37 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> While checking the manual for index matches for "key" I stumbled across
> this entry.  It leads to node `Init File'.  The word "key" is not even
> mentioned in that node.  Does the target node for this index entry need
> to be changed (updated)?

This index entry belongs to a different node.  I moved it there.

Thanks.

Subject: 26.0; Emacs manual, index entry `key rebinding, permanent'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 07:23:37 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

While checking the manual for index matches for "key" I stumbled across
this entry.  It leads to node `Init File'.  The word "key" is not even
mentioned in that node.  Does the target node for this index entry need
to be changed (updated)?  Or does something need to be added to this
node, to talk about putting custom key bindings in your init file and
thus making them "permanent"?

So far, someone looking for information about permanent key bindings and
arriving at this node will need to do a certain amount of imagining or
guessing, to figure out what the node has to do with permanent key
bindings.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-01-22
Repository revision: 752fba992b793a74d202c9cfc3e1a92fd458e748
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''