Subject: Re: bug#30505: Starting console/terminal Unicode support

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 18:09:53 +0100

Hey,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Usually I'm not a fan of overriding user settings (in this case the kernel
>> command line) but in this case it's OK since the rest of the system at least
>> can be sure that we have UTF-8 VTs.
>
> Aha, the gnu/services/base.scm tries to make sure that an UTF-8 aware unicode
> font is already loaded before switching the tty to UTF-8.  We would have to
> set default_utf8 earlier (before even the vt is activated), otherwise the
> setting wouldn't be copied to the new terminal.

You’re talking about %default-console-font?  What does that change?

I’m lost.  :-)

We have the following options:

  1. status quo, i.e., tcsetattr without %G in the ‘term-ttyN’ services;

  2. remove the tcsetattr call, write “1” to
     /sys/module/vt/parameters/default_utf8;

  3. do nothing (no tcsetattr, no /sys, no %G).

It seems that systemd does everything: %G, tcsetattr, and /sys.

What do we do now?

Ludo’.