Subject: bug#30502: closed (Re: bug#30502: 26.0.91; electric-pair-mode documentation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30502: 26.0.91; electric-pair-mode documentation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30502: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30502
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30502: 26.0.91; electric-pair-mode documentation
From: [email-masked] (Charles A. Roelli)
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:00:58 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:31:42 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>
> Thanks, I documented that now.  In the doc string of the mode as well.

Thanks a lot for the improvement.  With that, I'll close this bug.

> > By "this functionality" I mean auto-inserting a matching delimeter at
> > the mark when a delimeter character is typed, when electric-pair-mode
> > is on.  The region has to be active for this to work, therefore
> > transient-mark-mode must be on (even if temporarily).  I suggest
> > adding a command that wraps point and mark with some given delimeters,
> > regardless of whether the region is active.
> 
> We have "C-u C-x C-x" that turns on transient-mark-mode temporarily.
> Isn't that enough?  If not, the issue is general, not specific to this
> mode.

"C-u C-x C-x" does work well enough, but Emacs normally also provides
commands that explicitly do some subset of what a region-aware command
would do in the same situation.  For example, if you want to comment
out the region with transient-mark-mode switched off, you can either
type:

C-u C-x C-x [exchange-point-and-mark]
M-; [comment-dwim]

or more memorably, clearly, and without moving point,

M-x comment-region RET

I like having both options available, but the latter is preferable IMO.
Hence we could have some command that would be used like,

M-x wrap-region RET ( RET

to wrap a region explicitly.

Subject: 26.0.91; electric-pair-mode documentation
From: [email-masked] (Charles A. Roelli)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 17:07:53 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When you turn on electric-pair-mode from emacs -q, then select a
region and type an opening delimeter like "(", the region is
surrounded by the "(" and ")" characters, the mark is deactivated, and
point is left after the opening delimeter.  This should be documented.
(I searched for documentation but have not found any.)

Also, this functionality requires transient-mark-mode to be on.  Are
there any equivalent "wrapping" commands for use when
transient-mark-mode is off?  If not, maybe we should add some.