Subject: bug#30499: 26.0.91; Compiler warning cannot be suppressed

From: Francis Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 12:49:03 +0000

(with-no-warnings (byte-compile '(:foo)))

produces the warning

Warning: ‘:foo’ called as a function

Setting byte-compile-warnings to nil also does not suppress this
warning.  So either the documentation or the operation of both
with-no-warnings and byte-compile-warnings is incorrect.

In fact, it seems a little inconsistent to me that none of

(defun :foo ())

(byte-compile ':foo)

(:foo)

produces any warning, but compiling the call of :foo does produce a
warning.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-01-23 built on MONOLITH
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.16299
Recent messages:
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Complete, but not unique
Making completion list...
Complete, but not unique

Making completion list... [2 times]
Mark set [5 times]
Making completion list...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/emacs/emacs-26.0.91 --without-imagemagick
 --without-dbus'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENG
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  flyspell-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  horizontal-scroll-bar-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils warnings cl-extra compile eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe find-func help-fns radix-tree help-mode cl-print debug flyspell
ispell imenu tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time format-spec advice
paren delsel cus-start cus-load finder-inf info package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair server time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 258989 13496)
 (symbols 56 25373 1)
 (miscs 48 138 312)
 (strings 32 46389 1599)
 (string-bytes 1 1286336)
 (vectors 16 41749)
 (vector-slots 8 788352 12686)
 (floats 8 86 527)
 (intervals 56 584 25)
 (buffers 992 17))