Subject: Re: bug#30491: 26.0; (elisp) `Profiling'

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:01:39 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > > Also, some brief comparison of profile, elp, and benchmark could be
>> > helpful: what are their particular purposes, strengths, etc.
>> >
>> > I think this was already clear from the text: e.g., benchmark only
>> > measures the total execution time of a form, it doesn't produce any
>> > insights on the distribution of that time between the form's
>> > components.  I added more text to make some differences more clear.
>>
>> This post makes a start, but it doesn't mention elp.
>> Perhaps the text you've added (I've not seen it yet)
>> already makes a similar brief comparison.
>>
>> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/540/105
>
> I think this is covered now.

>From reading this thread, it seems like the documentation issues here
have been fixed.  There were also some tangents, but separate bug
reports were filed for those.  So it doesn't seem like there's nothing
more to do here, and I'm closing this bug.

As always, please report back if there's something I missed.  Please
open new bug reports for any remaining issues that are not related to
the documentation changes discussed here.  Thanks in advance.