Subject: bug#30491: closed (Re: bug#30491: 26.0; (elisp) `Profiling')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 17:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30491: 26.0; (elisp) `Profiling'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30491: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30491
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30491: 26.0; (elisp) `Profiling'
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:01:39 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > > Also, some brief comparison of profile, elp, and benchmark could be
>> > helpful: what are their particular purposes, strengths, etc.
>> >
>> > I think this was already clear from the text: e.g., benchmark only
>> > measures the total execution time of a form, it doesn't produce any
>> > insights on the distribution of that time between the form's
>> > components.  I added more text to make some differences more clear.
>>
>> This post makes a start, but it doesn't mention elp.
>> Perhaps the text you've added (I've not seen it yet)
>> already makes a similar brief comparison.
>>
>> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/540/105
>
> I think this is covered now.

>From reading this thread, it seems like the documentation issues here
have been fixed.  There were also some tangents, but separate bug
reports were filed for those.  So it doesn't seem like there's nothing
more to do here, and I'm closing this bug.

As always, please report back if there's something I missed.  Please
open new bug reports for any remaining issues that are not related to
the documentation changes discussed here.  Thanks in advance.

Subject: 26.0; (elisp) `Profiling'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:11:59 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. "how much resource" is not good English.  How much of a given
   resource or how many resources, not how much resource.  "Resource" is
   a countable noun.

2. "See the functions 'benchmark-run' and 'benchmark-run-compiled'".
   Those are macros, not functions.  And it should probably mention
   command `benchmark'.

3. The node should say something about library `elp', or it should not
   mention it.  The approach should be similar to what is said about
   library `benchmark.el', at a minimum.

4. A simple example of using the profiler commands would be welcome.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-01-22
Repository revision: 752fba992b793a74d202c9cfc3e1a92fd458e748
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''