Subject: bug#30490: closed (Re: bug#30490: 26.0; Elisp manual: indexing performance analysis)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 09:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30490: 26.0; Elisp manual: indexing performance analysis

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30490: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30490
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30490: 26.0; Elisp manual: indexing performance analysis
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 11:18:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:03:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> In the Elisp manual, `i perform TAB' shows `performance analysis'.
> Following that takes you to node `Coverage Testing' in the Edebug
> section.  That's hardly what I'd call a topic about performance
> analysis, but I didn't study it in detail.

That section describes also frequency counting, which is a sort of
performance analysis.

> The real bug here is that there is nothing else indexed under the
> term "performance".  (Perhaps some similar word is used, but
> "performance" is what came to my mind to look for.)
> 
> `i profil TAB' shows `profiling', which takes you to node `Profiling'.
> Isn't that about "performance analysis"?  Shouldn't it, rather than, or
> in addition to, `Coverage Testing' be indexed for "performance"?

I fixed the indexing to lead also to "Profiling" in this case.

Thanks.

Subject: 26.0; Elisp manual: indexing performance analysis
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:03:01 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In the Elisp manual, `i perform TAB' shows `performance analysis'.
Following that takes you to node `Coverage Testing' in the Edebug
section.  That's hardly what I'd call a topic about performance
analysis, but I didn't study it in detail.

The real bug here is that there is nothing else indexed under the
term "performance".  (Perhaps some similar word is used, but
"performance" is what came to my mind to look for.)

`i profil TAB' shows `profiling', which takes you to node `Profiling'.
Isn't that about "performance analysis"?  Shouldn't it, rather than, or
in addition to, `Coverage Testing' be indexed for "performance"?

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-01-22
Repository revision: 752fba992b793a74d202c9cfc3e1a92fd458e748
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''