Subject: bug#3048 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: emacsclient help text clarification)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 03:00:03 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#3048: emacsclient help text clarification

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
3048: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3048
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: emacsclient help text clarification
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Brandon Maister <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:55:51 -0400

> Hey I was trying to use the new emacsclient -a option, and it took me
> a few minutes to figure out that I was supposed to put `-a emacs' in
> there. (instead of just emacsclient -a myfile)

I've tweaked the --help message so that this should be a little more
obvious.

Subject: emacsclient help text clarification
From: Brandon Maister <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 01:41:37 -0400

Hey I was trying to use the new emacsclient -a option, and it took me
a few minutes to figure out that I was supposed to put `-a emacs' in
there. (instead of just emacsclient -a myfile)

It seems like other people might be less confused in the future if you
were to add the line:

         ARGUMENTS required for long OPTIONS are required for short OPTIONS too.

to the `emacsclient --help' output. So I did that and am sending it to
you. (I couldn't figure out what the capitalization is supposed to
mean, so that might look insane to you, but other than that.)

Thanks for a great thing,
brandon maister