Subject: Re: bug#30467: GuixSD fails to display login prompt on headless server

From: George myglc2 Clemmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 20:35:34 -0500

Hi Danny,

I think we got side-tracked to the serial port when my real issue is
with the VGA port. Maybe my bug report was not clear. Let me clarify ...

My headless server stopped displaying the console tty login *on the VGA
port* somewhere between (GNU Guix) 0.13.0.4589-74bea6 (my G18) and (GNU
Guix) 0.13.0.5042-6e385 (My G19). In the later version, when I reboot
the VGA displays 1) the BIOS prompt, 2) the grub boot menu, 3) "Booting
GNU with Linuxlibre ..." for a couple seconds, and then 4) a blank.

In either version, this config ...

(agetty-service (agetty-configuration (tty "ttyS1")
                (baud-rate "115200")))

... causes a login prompt to be raised on ttyS1 which, on my system, is
mapped to IPMI Serial over Lan (SOL). However recently you said ...

On 02/15/2018 at 15:54 Danny Milosavljevic writes:

> In the long run please remove your agetty-service, it should automatically appear
> (it recovers the settings from the "console" kernel-argument).

So I tried that with a build from today (guix (GNU Guix)
0.13.0.5116-e272), and *no login* is raised on ttyS1 (My G46, sys.scm
attached).

However, if I *ignore your advice* a login prompt *is raised* on ttyS1
(My G45).

So, IIUC, it's not working the way you said it would, but it's not a
problem for me because I can just use the agetty-service.

Not sure your questions are still relevant, but here is what I see ...

On 02/17/2018 at 17:05 Danny Milosavljevic writes:

> What does
> stty -F /dev/ttyS1
> say?

g1@g1 ~/www$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyS1
speed 115200 baud; line = 0;
-brkint -imaxbel

On 02/17/2018 at 17:04 Danny Milosavljevic writes:

> Huh, please try
>
> strace -f agetty /dev/ttyS1 >log 2>&1
>
> and send the log to the list...

(log.gz attached)

HTH - George