Subject: bug#30463: 26.0.91; info-lookup-symbol oddities

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 09:12:28 +0100

The Emacs manual says in section "26.6.1 Info Documentation Lookup":

"The major mode determines where to look for documentation for the
symbol—which Info files to look in, and which indices to search."

This is not really true. No major mode determines itself "where to look
for information", this is hard coded in info-look.el. See the several
info-lookup-maybe-add-help calls in that file.

I do not recommend to change this section for Emacs 26. But shouldn't it
be more transparent, how a major mode "determines where to look for
documentation"? Something to be said in the Elisp manual?

Furthermore, some hard coded locations in info-look.el seem to be
deprecated. If I, for example, choose manually autoconf-mode as symbol
help mode, I get (taken from the *Messages* buffer):

Processing Info node ‘(m4)Macro index’...done
Processing Info node ‘(autoconf)Autoconf Macro Index’...done
Processing Info node ‘(autoconf)M4 Macro Index’...done
Processing Info node ‘(autoconf)Autotest Macro Index’...done
Processing Info node ‘(autoconf)Macro Index’...
Cannot access Info node ‘(autoconf)Macro Index’
Processing Info node ‘(autoconf)Macro Index’...done
Processing Info node ‘(automake)Macro and Variable Index’...
Cannot access Info node ‘(automake)Macro and Variable Index’
Processing Info node ‘(automake)Macro and Variable Index’...done

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 17, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.25)
 of 2018-02-13 built on detlef
Repository revision: 52ca0d1a3e01a3af8b482bd1f174f48a5c0b1fa2
System Description:	Ubuntu 17.10

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/albinus/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/albinus/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/albinus/.newsrc.eld...done
Mark set [2 times]
Saving file /home/albinus/News/drafts/drafts/3...
Mark set
Wrote /home/albinus/News/drafts/drafts/3
Deleting article /home/albinus/News/drafts/drafts/1 in drafts...
Mark set [3 times]
Quit
C-h S runs the command info-lookup-symbol
Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  gnus-message-citation-mode: t
  mml-mode: t
  erc-notify-mode: t
  erc-notifications-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-org hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.14/debbugs-org
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-gnu hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.14/debbugs-gnu
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.14/debbugs
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-autoloads hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.14/debbugs-autoloads
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-pkg hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.14/debbugs-pkg
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-browse hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.14/debbugs-browse
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/tramp-theme/tramp-theme hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-theme-0.2/tramp-theme
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/tramp-theme/tramp-theme-autoloads hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-theme-0.2/tramp-theme-autoloads
/home/albinus/src/elpa/packages/tramp-theme/tramp-theme-pkg hides /home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-theme-0.2/tramp-theme-pkg
/home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/telepathy-20131209.458/telepathy hides ~/lisp/telepathy
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-smb hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-smb
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-uu hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-uu
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-adb hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-adb
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-cmds hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-cmds
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-cache hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-cache
~/src/tramp/lisp/trampver hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/trampver
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-ftp hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-ftp
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-sh hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-sh
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-loaddefs hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-loaddefs
~/lisp/dbus hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/dbus
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-gvfs hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-gvfs
~/src/tramp/lisp/tramp-compat hides /usr/local/src/emacs-26/lisp/net/tramp-compat

Features:
(shadow warnings emacsbug gnus-draft url-http url-gw url-auth url-queue
url-cache url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview doc-view image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m
org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs url-util shr svg dom browse-url diff-mode
easy-mmode flow-fill mm-archive time-stamp gnus-dup mailalias
magit-utils crm descr-text help-fns radix-tree misearch multi-isearch
sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-bcklg nnir gnus-async cl-extra help-mode
qp gnus-ml pop3 utf-7 nndraft nnmh nnml network-stream nsm starttls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-cache gnus-sum
nnnil smtpmail sendmail gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit term/xterm xterm elec-pair erc-notify erc-networks
erc-desktop-notifications erc-match notifications dbus xml erc-goodies
erc erc-backend erc-compat thingatpt pp cperl-mode finder-inf rx edmacro
kmacro kubernetes-tramp docker-tramp tramp-cache slime-autoloads
vagrant-tramp dash term disp-table ehelp info package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse url-vars time tramp-sh tramp trampver
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time format-spec advice auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache ido seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv jka-compr icomplete time-date paren vc
cl-loaddefs cl-lib vc-dispatcher dired dired-loaddefs mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 617705 51555)
 (symbols 48 59647 4)
 (miscs 40 162 1093)
 (strings 32 197084 12228)
 (string-bytes 1 5380917)
 (vectors 16 72918)
 (vector-slots 8 2160053 157736)
 (floats 8 327 513)
 (intervals 56 4483 935)
 (buffers 992 44))