Subject: bug#30462: flyspell-auto-correct-word 'corrects' more than the current word

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 22:51:55 +0800

And now that I have become more sensitive to the bug, I notice it just
happened again:

OK now today I was really trying to use flyspell-auto-correct-word,
but my cursor happened to be just past the "t" below.

As there really isn't much spelling to be corrected at "t", I started
noticing in the minibuffer (*Message* buffer):

Auto-saving...done
Corrections: unkind unkinder antonym inking envenom uncanny unkonwm unknown unkind
Corrections: unkinder antonym inking envenom uncanny unkonwm unknown unkind unkinder
Corrections: antonym inking envenom uncanny unkonwm unknown unkind unkinder antonym
Auto-saving...

> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
> Shall we do as we do now, and just let it sail through,                >
> ```                                                                    >
> http://a.b.c?xzzz{Header,Dont-Let-Larry-Know,Yes}                      >
> ```                                                                    >
>                                                                        >
> No. We not only let Larry know, we let him know we didn't want to let  >
> him know. Our user will doubly hunt you down, if Larry doesn't get him >
> first.                                                                 >
>                                                                        >
> Indeed, that is just like when we know what ftp://x and http://y are,  >
> but not irc://z . So irc://z must mean http://irc://z . That is about  >
> how much little sense it makes.                                        >
>                                                                        >
> So what should we do?                                                  >
>                                                                        >
> We should not let the request go over the wires in the first place.    >
>                                                                        >
> Instead we should tell the user to fix thier t<MY CURSOR IS HERE>      >
> print out an error message                                             >
> : E.g.,                                                                >
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

 t [self-insert-command]
 e e [self-insert-command]
 h h [self-insert-command]
 <backspace> <backspace> [delete-backward-char]
 <backspace> <backspace> [delete-backward-char]
 h h [self-insert-command]
 i i [self-insert-command]
 e e [self-insert-command]
 r r [self-insert-command]
 SPC SPC [self-insert-command]
 t [self-insert-command]
 e e [self-insert-command]
 m m [self-insert-command]
 <backspace> <backspace> [delete-backward-char]
 <backspace> <backspace> [delete-backward-char]
 <escape> <escape> <tab> [flyspell-auto-correct-word]
 <escape> <tab> [flyspell-auto-correct-word]
 <escape> <tab> [flyspell-auto-correct-word]
 <escape> <tab> [flyspell-auto-correct-word]
 C-x C-b [list-buffers]

OK as I didn't notice anything change (that's why I hit
flyspell-auto-correct-word the second etc. times, to see what it was up
to, where.)

So obviously those "Corrections: unkind unkinder..." mean that it was
indeed changing something off the screen and I will have to proofread
the entire draft to hopefully find where.
You might say "just use undo", but one fears that might even mess things
up further, so we chicken out.

P.S., one would think "just run a spell checker on your article."
Well that only detects misspelled words and where ever that word was,
alas, it is no longer misspelled now.

Wait (via searching for the last word in the last *Message* I found it,

> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
> From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>            >
> --text follows this line--                                 >
> Don't let antonym WMS URL template directives sail through >
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
That's right, way at the top of the message (way off the top of the
screen)  I was composing, it changed some word into "antonym".

Thank goodness I can run "undo" on just a region, revealing the original,
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
> Don't let unknown WMS URL template directives sail through >
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >