Subject: bug#30462: flyspell-auto-correct-word 'corrects' more than the current word

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:36:32 +0200

On 2/16/18 12:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I see your point, but I think the number of years we had this has
> greater weight.

This can be an argument for choosing between the ways to fix something, 
but not to just give up.

It's not like an API stability argument, no third-party Lisp code will 
break after this change.

>> Is it really that important in this case? We're allowed to change the
>> defaults from time to time.
> 
> Based on only one complaint, after all these years?  I don't think so.

That's a valid rebuke, but I imagine the total number of users is not 
very high either. Especially of those who rely on the possibility of 
auto-correcting far-away words.

>> And having C-M-i (bound to completion-at-point in most other contexts)
>> do something like this is a bad UI.
> 
> That ship has sailed a long time ago, so again long-time practice
> wins.
> 
> IMO, we must maintain stable UI and defaults in Emacs, after so many
> years.

What about improving the UI? It's not like it has reached perfection at 
any time.

If stability to such high degree is the goal, Emacs will more likely 
fade away together with the current generations of its users.