Subject: bug#30457: 26.0.91; bidi-display-reordering makes navigation around melpa/archive-contents slow

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 10:49:23 -0800

Recapturing thread that accidentally went private...

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 7:37 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > So is this bug a WONTFIX then?
> It isn't WONTFIX, I just don't know how to make the BPA implementation
> faster with such long lines and deeply nested parentheses.  It already
> includes all the optimizations I could think of.  But maybe someone
> else will find a way to optimize it more.

I'm only just now learning about BPA, so I apologize if this is a
silly question, but would it be any faster to scan a buffer and
determine that there are no rtl characters so parentheses matching is
unnecessary?

> > And/or does it fall into the general "emacs is not super optimized
> > for long lines" thing?
> It does, sort of.  At least near the end of the buffer you clearly see
> that bidi-display-reordering has a much smaller effect, in relative
> terms.

Yeah, I wasn't aware that the end of the buffer had more slowness, but
that's good to know.

Thanks,

Aaron