Subject: bug#30438: 27.0.50; (error "Error in syntax_table logic for to-the-end intervals")

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 14:07:35 -0500

I get this error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error in syntax_table logic for to-the-end intervals")
  looking-at("\\b[[:alpha:]]\\([. ]\\|\\b\\)")
  mail-extr-voodoo(8 15 #<buffer  *canonical address*>)
  mail-extract-address-components(#("\"冯书\" <[email-masked]>" 1 3 (charset gb18030-2-byte)))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

when I select a gnus group.
The content of `#<buffer  *canonical address*>` is

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[email-masked]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

(without the trailing newline).
It is narrowed, though. When I widen, I see

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
 "冯书" <[email-masked]>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
(again, without the trailing newline).

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-apple-darwin17.4.0, NS appkit-1561.20 Version 10.13.3 (Build 17D47))
 of 2018-02-05 built on Clr-Sam.local
Repository revision: 5d7a5ab99ef851d4d8c50a1bbb1fb2034f93bfb7
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.13.3

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig/
 --without-makeinfo'

Configured features:
DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS THREADS JSON

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug nndoc sh-script executable rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-enc xmltok goto-addr bug-reference make-mode whitespace cl-indent
lisp-mnt mhtml-mode css-mode smie eww mm-url clhs url-queue url-cache
ein-ipynb-mode conf-mode smtpmail canlock rot13 bbdb-message mailalias
sendmail cookie1 nnir find-dired smerge-mode log-view cal-move cal-x
cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam cal-julian holidays hol-loaddefs cal-iso
cal-hebrew lunar solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs apropos markdown-mode color noutline outline
company-capf company-semantic ein-multilang ein-multilang-fontify
org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
ein-company url-http url-auth url-gw ein-notebooklist ein-file
ein-notebook ein-inspector ein-traceback ein-pytools ein-pager
ein-completer ein-subpackages ein-notification ein-scratchsheet
ein-worksheet ein-kill-ring ein-cell-output ein-cell-edit ein-cell
ein-skewer skewer-mode cache-table js2-mode js sgml-mode simple-httpd pp
ein-output-area ein-kernelinfo ein-kernel ein-ipdb ein-events
eieio-compat ein-websocket websocket bindat ein-contents-api ein-query
request-deferred deferred request url url-proxy url-privacy url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf ein-node ein-log ein-classes ein-core ein-utils
dash cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ein tramp-cmds jka-compr url-expand
url-methods url-util shr svg xml dom browse-url flow-fill mm-archive
sort smiley gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-dup qp mail-extr
gnus-ml hl-line disp-table spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap utf-7 gnus-cache
gnus-sum bbdb-gnus network-stream nsm starttls nntp gnus-group gnus-undo
tramp-cache gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls
utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win view dired-aux
debug rx eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func misearch
multi-isearch dabbrev tabify cl-print company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-eclim
company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet flymake-proc flymake company pcase help-fns
radix-tree elpy find-file-in-project ivy delsel ivy-overlay ffap
thingatpt windmove elpy-shell elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor
edmacro kmacro subr-x ido grep compile files-x etags xref project
cus-edit python tramp-sh tramp trampver tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
parse-time shell pcomplete comint ansi-color skeleton log-edit message
rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
gmm-utils mailheader ring pcvs-util add-log vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs remember cl-extra help-mode vc-hg flyspell ispell
elec-pair vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
warnings midnight ein-loaddefs pyvenv gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb-loaddefs bbdb bbdb-site
timezone edit-server advice server finder-inf info package easymenu
which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map seq byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset
cus-start cus-load cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win
ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1601675 182579)
 (symbols 48 60835 26)
 (miscs 40 30835 1335)
 (strings 32 291080 20687)
 (string-bytes 1 8322728)
 (vectors 16 127156)
 (vector-slots 8 3045248 87424)
 (floats 8 1175 4341)
 (intervals 56 115502 606)
 (buffers 992 279))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1561
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://jij.org
http://americancensorship.org http://honestreporting.com http://www.memritv.org
Marriage is the sole cause of divorce.