Subject: bug#30437: No “.guix-profile/bin/python” after ‘guix package -i python’

From: Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:38:44 +0100

Hi,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:52:41 +0100
> Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I think it would work better if when installing python@3, a ‘python’
>> executable would be available in the PATH.  Maybe there is a technical
>> reason for not doing so, but I find its absence rather confusing.
>
> For backward compatibility, the 'python' executable always has to be Python 2.
>
> A lot of old scripts specify just "/usr/bin/env python" in the shebang.
>
> On the other hand if your script supports Python 3 you know it.

Hum, then I don't understand why we aren't applying this argument to
every interperter (Perl, Guile, ...) which introduce backward
incompatible changes?

-- 
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37