Subject: bug#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 13:47:14 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 at 12:17, Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>> More concretely, try "guix shell emacs emacs-magit --pure -- emacs"
>>>> followed by "M-x magit-status" in a Git checkout, it will fail due to
>>>> not finding the 'git' executable.

For one, this had been corrected by
b59b033af3957e0de9a44733e26cbcc7114a4dfb, IMHO.  For me,

    guix shell emacs emacs-magit --pure -- emacs -q -f magit-status

just works.

>>>> So my idea is to use the new magit changes to both make the remote
>>>> TRAMP work and _also_ make local things work in a pure environment,
>>>> undoing the regression that was caused by reverting the
>>>> git->/gnu/store/.../bin/git substitution without creating new
>>>> regressions.

For two, as explained by [1], the case for TRAMP seems handled, no?

>>> Sounds good to me!  I'll be happy to review any patch implementing it.
>> 
>> Now, we are 1 year, 17 weeks, 6 later after this message.  So I propose
>> to close this issue and then open another one for this potential patch.
>> 
>> WDYT?
>
> The time since that message  is irrelevant.  The bug is still there, so 
> there is no good reason to close it.

Your report (reopened a closed one) is about two issues.  Which one is
still there?  One?  Both?  None?  Having a clear fresh bug report for
specific issue makes easier to deal with instead of a lot old thread
mixing several issues where some had been already fixed.  Somehow, it
makes it hard to know what is currently still accurate and what is not,
IMHO.

>                                       If the point of closing unresolved 
> bug reports is some kind of prioritization of bug reports, there's tags, 
> severity levels, etc., you can use instead faking a high bug resolving 
> statistics.

The point is to have an actionable bug tracker and not some spaghetti
thread where it is hard to follow between the still accurate and the
already fixed.

Ricardo opened an issue tracked as #30434.

    Subject: bug#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP
    Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:53:22 +0100 (5 years, 31 weeks, 5 days ago)

Closed by Mark with the message:

    Agreed.  Done, in commit 5fe9ba59ba1cea12a70d011aacbace52e3bfda18 on
    master and commit 317e8e9404058af35d9843e076934560f95d895a on
    core-updates.  I'm closing this bug now.

    Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 08:52:02 +0000 (5 years, 31 weeks, 3 days ago)

And the discussion ends on:

    Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:00:50 -0500 (5 years, 31 weeks, 1 day ago)

Then, years later you unarchive and reopen.

    Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 15:36:02 +0200 (1 year, 18 weeks, 1 day ago)

    unarchive 30434
    reopen 30434

directly followed by Maxim’s question:

    Why did you reopen that issue?  Does the original problem still affect
    you (a hard-coded magit-git-executable causing problems when executed on
    remote machines via TRAMP).

And this bug was still open just as a reminder waiting for your patch.
The initial issue had been closed and what you are reporting is not an
issue anymore, from my understanding.  I am proposing to open a fresh
issue with accurate information from current Guix revisions about what
you consider is this bug – referencing to this one if needed.

BTW, for what it is worth, I feel your tone arrogant and that is
generating an atmosphere that does not make the collaboration friendly.

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#59253] [PATCH] gnu: emacs-magit: Substitute git executable path.
Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Mon, 14 Nov 2022 19:52:36 -0500
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org//59253
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]