Subject: bug#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:19:40 +0200

Op 23-09-2023 om 12:17 schreef Maxime Devos:
> Op 21-09-2023 om 09:34 schreef Simon Tournier:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This bug#30434 [1] had been closed on 14 Feb 2018 and then reopened on
>> 18 May 2022.
>>
>> 1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/30434
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 at 00:04, Maxim Cournoyer 
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>>> More concretely, try "guix shell emacs emacs-magit --pure -- emacs"
>>>> followed by "M-x magit-status" in a Git checkout, it will fail due to
>>>> not finding the 'git' executable.
>>>>
>>>> So my idea is to use the new magit changes to both make the remote
>>>> TRAMP work and _also_ make local things work in a pure environment,
>>>> undoing the regression that was caused by reverting the
>>>> git->/gnu/store/.../bin/git substitution without creating new
>>>> regressions.
>>>
>>> Sounds good to me!  I'll be happy to review any patch implementing it.
>>
>> Now, we are 1 year, 17 weeks, 6 later after this message.  So I propose
>> to close this issue and then open another one for this potential patch.
>>
>> WDYT?
> 
> The time since that message  is irrelevant.  The bug is still there, so 
> there is no good reason to close it.  If the point of closing unresolved 
> bug reports is some kind of prioritization of bug reports, there's tags, 
> severity levels, etc., you can use instead faking a high bug resolving 
> statistics.

Wait, I misread -- feel free to open that new bug report.  I assumed 
‘open another one when that potential patch exists’ instead of ‘right now’.