Subject: Re: bug#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:17:35 +0200

Op 21-09-2023 om 09:34 schreef Simon Tournier:
> Hi,
> 
> This bug#30434 [1] had been closed on 14 Feb 2018 and then reopened on
> 18 May 2022.
> 
> 1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/30434
> 
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 at 00:04, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>> More concretely, try "guix shell emacs emacs-magit --pure -- emacs"
>>> followed by "M-x magit-status" in a Git checkout, it will fail due to
>>> not finding the 'git' executable.
>>>
>>> So my idea is to use the new magit changes to both make the remote
>>> TRAMP work and _also_ make local things work in a pure environment,
>>> undoing the regression that was caused by reverting the
>>> git->/gnu/store/.../bin/git substitution without creating new
>>> regressions.
>>
>> Sounds good to me!  I'll be happy to review any patch implementing it.
> 
> Now, we are 1 year, 17 weeks, 6 later after this message.  So I propose
> to close this issue and then open another one for this potential patch.
> 
> WDYT?

The time since that message  is irrelevant.  The bug is still there, so 
there is no good reason to close it.  If the point of closing unresolved 
bug reports is some kind of prioritization of bug reports, there's tags, 
severity levels, etc., you can use instead faking a high bug resolving 
statistics.

Best regards,
Maxime Devos.