Subject: bug#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:34:18 +0200

Hi,

This bug#30434 [1] had been closed on 14 Feb 2018 and then reopened on
18 May 2022.

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/30434

On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 at 00:04, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> More concretely, try "guix shell emacs emacs-magit --pure -- emacs"
>> followed by "M-x magit-status" in a Git checkout, it will fail due to
>> not finding the 'git' executable.
>>
>> So my idea is to use the new magit changes to both make the remote
>> TRAMP work and _also_ make local things work in a pure environment,
>> undoing the regression that was caused by reverting the
>> git->/gnu/store/.../bin/git substitution without creating new
>> regressions.
>
> Sounds good to me!  I'll be happy to review any patch implementing it.

Now, we are 1 year, 17 weeks, 6 later after this message.  So I propose
to close this issue and then open another one for this potential patch.

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon