Subject: bug#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:00:50 -0500

Hi Alex,

Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mark H Weaver (2018-02-16 04:09 -0500) wrote:
>
>> How does your own magit package avoid requiring git as an input?  I'd be
>> curious to see the diff between your package definition and ours.
>
> My version of magit is attached.  Actually this problem (requiring git
> during compilation) was introduced occasionally in Magit 2.11.0 and was
> fixed soon after that, so "git" input will not be needed in the next
> release.
>
> If you want more details, tarsius (the maintainer of Magit) added some
> code to bring attention for his fundraising campaign:
>
>   https://github.com/magit/magit/commit/bf71241122e1a0bf707913c87493214ceb12f588

Thanks for interesting details, and for your modified 'magit' package
recipe.  Having looked it over, I'm inclined to leave our 'magit'
package as it is now.  It's a very quick build, and also a leaf package
(except for 'magit-svn'), so I don't see much practical benefit to
removing 'git' as an input.

Other opinions welcome :)

       Mark