Subject: bug#30434: closed (Re: bug#30434: magit won’twork over TRAMP)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 08:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30434: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30434
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 03:51:06 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:
> I think it makes sense *not* to hardcode the path to the git executable
> here.

Agreed.  Done, in commit 5fe9ba59ba1cea12a70d011aacbace52e3bfda18 on
master and commit 317e8e9404058af35d9843e076934560f95d895a on
core-updates.  I'm closing this bug now.

    Thanks,
      Mark

Subject: magit won’t work over TRAMP
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 13:53:22 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The default value for “magit-git-executable” (when magit is installed
via Guix) appears to be a store path, such as
“/gnu/store/l7g5r1c2i0bf3cd71g53ajy8khdcyidz-git-2.16.1/bin/git”.  This
means that when magit is used over TRAMP it will try to find the exact
same git executable on the remote.

Instead, magit should only look for “git” on the remote, not for the
exact store location of a particular git executable.

I could only use magit over TRAMP after setting “magit-git-executable”
to “git”.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net