Subject: Re: bug#30434: magit won’t work over TRAMP

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:11:19 +0100

Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus (2018-02-12 13:53 +0100) wrote:
>
>> The default value for “magit-git-executable” (when magit is installed
>> via Guix) appears to be a store path, such as
>> “/gnu/store/l7g5r1c2i0bf3cd71g53ajy8khdcyidz-git-2.16.1/bin/git”.  This
>> means that when magit is used over TRAMP it will try to find the exact
>> same git executable on the remote.
>>
>> Instead, magit should only look for “git” on the remote, not for the
>> exact store location of a particular git executable.
>>
>> I could only use magit over TRAMP after setting “magit-git-executable”
>> to “git”.
>
> If people will agree that changing 'magit-git-executable' is not needed,
> then I think 'git' can be removed from the inputs as it is used just for
> that variable.
>
> P.S.  I also use just "git" for 'magit-git-executable'.

It took me way too long to figure out that this was the cause.  I played
with TRAMP settings before that and only noticed that something was off
when I looked at the verbose TRAMP debug logs.

I think it makes sense *not* to hardcode the path to the git executable
here.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net