Subject: 27.0.50; Emacs TERMINFO "xterm-direct" "efaq" example not working

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 21:09:40 -0500

Hi,

        The example in the "efaq" Info file gives the following

                TERM=xterm-direct emacs -nw

        When I execute this, as stated, I get an Emacs session
        WITHOUT any colors -- even "M-x list-colors-display"
        does not show any colors.

        However, if I change this to the following, I see colors
        displayed:

                TERM=xterm-direct2 emacs -nw

        [Note the "2" in "xterm-drect2"]

        Here is the definition for the setab/setaf parameters for
        each:

xterm-direct2:

# Emacs 26.1 and later support direct color mode in terminals, using a
# combination of user-defined capabilities and ncurses-dependent function
# calls.  We will not include that here.
#
# Here is a first revision, which (disregarding the reuse of colors 1-7 which
# is of interest only to the numerically illiterate), is compatible with other
# terminal descriptions written for curses.  It relies upon the extended range
# for numeric capabilities provided in ncurses 6.1:
xterm+direct2|xterm with direct-color indexing,
[...]

xterm-direct2|xterm with direct-color indexing (old),
	use=xterm+direct2, use=xterm+titlestack, use=xterm,
[...]
	setab=\E[%?%p1%{8}%<%t4%p1%d%e48\:2\:%p1%{65536}%/%d\:%p1%{256}%/%{255}%&%d\:%p1%{255}%&%d%;m,
	setaf=\E[%?%p1%{8}%<%t3%p1%d%e38\:2\:%p1%{65536}%/%d\:%p1%{256}%/%{255}%&%d\:%p1%{255}%&%d%;m,

xterm-direct:

# That in turn had a problem: in the original patch submitted for KDE konsole
# in 2006, the submitter and the developer alike overlooked a "color space
# identifier" parameter.  This version provides for that parameter:
xterm+direct|xterm with direct-color indexing,
[...]
	setab=\E[%?%p1%{8}%<%t4%p1%d%e48\:2\:\:%p1%{65536}%/%d\:%p1%{256}%/%{255}%&%d\:%p1%{255}%&%d%;m,
	setaf=\E[%?%p1%{8}%<%t3%p1%d%e38\:2\:\:%p1%{65536}%/%d\:%p1%{256}%/%{255}%&%d\:%p1%{255}%&%d%;m,

       Between the two ("xterm-direct"and "xerm-direct2"), I see
       the diffeence in at least "\:2\:\:" and "\:2\:".
       respectively -- "xterm-direct" has an additioal "\:"

       So, should Emacs be changed to accommadate the missing
       parameter ("\:" as in "xterm-direct")??

       Or should the information in "efaq" be changed to specify
       "xterm-direct2"?

       Or...?

       Can anyone else confirm that colors are not displayed
       in Emacs TTY when using TERMINFO's 6.1 definition of
       "xterm-direct" (setab/setaf)?

       Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2018-02-11 built on localhost.localdomain
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
System Description: Fedora 24 (Workstation Edition)

Recent messages:
nnimap read 152k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 160k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 168k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 193k from imap.aim.com [2 times]
Fetching headers for nnimap+aol:INBOX...done
Scoring...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Auto-saving...
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr
 --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff
 --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=yes
 --with-modules --with-xwidgets 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O0 -ggdb3
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-desktop-notify-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail qp gnus-ml disp-table
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive timezone url-http url-gw
url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder cl-extra
help-mode network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp gnus-desktop-notify
easy-mmode notifications dbus xml epa-file nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs url-vars json map gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage starttls
sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain nnir gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls
utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils kmacro ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init cl-loaddefs cl-lib ediff-util ediff elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 313114 48068)
 (symbols 48 126137 1)
 (miscs 40 96 208)
 (strings 32 120208 5249)
 (string-bytes 1 3992565)
 (vectors 16 29211)
 (vector-slots 8 995291 64426)
 (floats 8 223 446)
 (intervals 56 5773 3)
 (buffers 992 36)
 (heap 1024 96591 16146))