Subject: bug#30429: 27.0.50; Emacs TERMINFO "xterm-direct" "efaq" example not working

From: Rami Ylimäki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 18:38:14 +0200

On 12.02.2018 17:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 21:09:40 -0500
>>
>>          The example in the "efaq" Info file gives the following
>>
>>                  TERM=xterm-direct emacs -nw
>>
>>          When I execute this, as stated, I get an Emacs session
>>          WITHOUT any colors -- even "M-x list-colors-display"
>>          does not show any colors.
>>
>>          However, if I change this to the following, I see colors
>>          displayed:
>>
>>                  TERM=xterm-direct2 emacs -nw
>>

This is expected. Each direct mode TERM specification uses slightly 
different seta[bf] string to display the colors. For example, currently 
Gnome Terminal supports xterm-direct2 and iTerm2/XTerm support 
xterm-direct. It's the user's responsibility to set TERM to something 
that is supported by their terminal.

Emacs happens to be mentioned in the comment for xterm+direct2 in 
Terminfo source file. However, this is just a coincidence and doesn't 
mean that Emacs would have any connection with xterm-direct2. The 
comment simply states that the non-standard set[bf]24 strings supported 
by Emacs (before Terminfo added the standard capabilities) aren't added 
to Terminfo as standard capabilities.

I chose to use xterm-direct in the FAQ, because Terminfo suggests that 
seta[bf] strings of xterm-direct are the preferred way to display colors 
in direct mode.

The bug here is that the FAQ could explain this more thoroughly, but 
there's no bug in software.