Subject: bug#30428: guix git-fetch doesn't specify "--depth 1" - git clone clones a lot without any use

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 14:58:55 +0100

Hello,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 10:09:39 -0500
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I think it's worth adding, but as an option, because there are Git
>> server implementations, like JGit, that don't support shallow cloning.
>
> Thanks for that!  I didn't consider that before...
>
> Possible patch (do you know such servers and can test whether they still work?):

I think it’s a great idea.  FWIW, Andy proposed something along these
lines, but the idea was to use shallow clones for tags only because in
other cases it might not work (?):

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00258.html

It got stuck on a minor issue: the patch added a ‘tag’ field to
‘git-reference’, which changed the API, and I suggested making things
slightly differently:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00558.html

Would you like to see if both patches could be merged?

Thanks,
Ludo’.